ESCMID observership grant allows the visitors to visit the collaborative centre on bone and joint infections at Charité - University Medicine Berlin.
- Opportunity to discuss various concepts on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of implant-associated infections, including orthopaedic/traumatologic, cardiovascular, neurosurgical, reconstructive and other implants.
- Join the interdisciplinary infection team, composed of various surgeons (orthopedic/trauma, reconstructive, vascular), infectious diseases consultants, clinical microbiologists and infection control professionals.
- Get insights on new diagnostic techniques and treatment options for implant infections,
- Participate in daily interdisciplinary clinical rounds and problem conferences.
- In addition, the biofilm research laboratory can be visited and potential future joint collaborative projects discussed.
Research interests - biofilms
LABORATORY STUDIES (translational research)
- Antibiotics against biofilms - in vitro and animal studies in foreign-body infection model.
- Microcalorimetry - measurement of microbial heat for early detection and rapid susceptibility testing of bacteria and fungi.
- Sonication - removal of microorganisms from implant surface to improve the detection and treatment of infections.
- Bone grafts and their substitutes - initial adhesion and biofilm formation to develop strategies for prevention and treatment of bone infection (e.g. local antibiotics).
- European Prosthetic Joint Infection Cohort (EPJIC)
- Prospective interventional studies - efficacy and safety of new antibiotics against biofilms, bone grafts and substitutes, implants
- Retrospective observational studies – investigating a specific clinical problem or unresolved issue
The typical number of consultation per week:
- 10-15 with prosthetic joint infection
- 6-12 with severe soft tissue infection
- 5-10 with fracture fixation device infection
- 3-8 with spine infection (with and without implant)
- 4-8 chronic osteomyelitis
- 1-3 with vascular prosthesis infection
- 1-2 with sternum osteomyelitis
What a visitor can expect from a visit:
For one day
Presentation of the interdisciplinary infectious diseases / surgical team and organization of the septic surgical unit. Join the consulation service and/or research group. Introduction of clinical and laboratory research projects on biofilms and implant-associated infections. Presentation of the European Prosthetic Joint Infection Cohort (EPJIC).
For one week
In addition, participation at daily clinical rounds, patient consultations, interdisciplinary meetings and outpatient clinic. Demonstration of special microbiology diagnostic techniques (sonication, microcalorimetry, mass spectroscopy, molecular techniques), animal experiments, clinical research projects and infection control. Opportunity to join surgical procedures in the operating rooms.
For one month
In addition, active participation at journal clubs, clinical case conferences, research laboratory meetings. Prepare presentation about home institution. Opportunity to perform own laboratory experiments and write case reports or review articles. Participation at international PJI workshops.